Former number one Park nabs first LPGA win of season
Park In-Bee, motivated by her fall from the top of the world rankings, stormed to her first LPGA title of 2014 at the Manulife Financial Classic on Sunday.
The South Korean star had 10 birdies in a course record-equalling 10-under par 61 on the Grey Silo Golf Course, erasing a two-stroke overnight deficit win by three strokes with a 23-under par total of 261.
"It never gets old," said Park, whose course record-equalling round was a career-low. "Obviously, my last win on the LPGA Tour was about this time a year ago -- and it sure felt longer than a year.
"I came close a few times, but I couldn`t hold the trophy since last year so just really happy that I finally got that done."
Park`s drought had put her number one ranking in jeopardy for weeks, and American Stacy Lewis finally supplanted her with a victory last Sunday.
"Yeah you think I`m motivated now?" Park said with a laugh.
"Yeah, I think definitely I really kickstarted (my season) maybe the last week. Gave me some kind of motivation to go lower and harder on myself."
Park trailed China`s Feng Shanshan by two strokes going into the round.
Feng had four birdies and a bogey in her three-under 68, just not enough to hold off the charging Park.
American veteran Cristie Kerr who slipped past her for second place with a 63 for 264.
Feng finished in solo third on 18-under 266, with New Zealand teenager Lydia Ko (66) sharing fourth on 268 with Spain`s Belen Mozo (65).Park took the lead with back-to-back birdies at the seventh and eighth, her fourth and fifth of the day.
Her five birdies coming in included three in a row from the 12th.
"Seems like today I put my putter behind the ball and it just went in the hole," Park said. "It`s just one of those days where I don`t really need to try hard to make it go in."
Her success on the greens was especially welcome, since Park had pointed to putting woes as a factor keeping her out of the winner`s circle after six triumphs -- three of them major championships -- in 2013.
"The putter is definitely the key," she said. "I`ve been hitting the ball consistently all year, just my putter`s just not been wanting to do its job."
She has regained her touch with her title defence at the US Women`s Open coming up in two weeks at Pinehurst.
Park`s US Open triumph at Sebonack Golf Club last year gave her a third major title of 2013 -- although she wasn`t able to add an historic fourth at the British Open.
This year the US Women`s Open is the second major on the women`s calendar, after the Kraft Nabisco Championship, with the move of the LPGA Championship from June to August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi