Gangjee earns him Asian Tour card; Chopra and Rashid miss out
Hua Hin (Thailand): Faced with the prospect of having no International Tour card to play with, Rahil Gangjee turned in a stunning finish with four birdies in last five holes to finish at five-under in the Final Stage of the Asian tour Qualifying School and at tied 21st he earned full playing privileges on the Asian Tour for 2013.
While Gangjee was ecstatic, there was heartbreak for Vikrant Chopra, who missed by one shot, and Rashid Khan, who dropped down with a triple bogey on the final hole.
Chopra (73) at tied 42nd at three-under, Ajeetesh Sandhu (71), Rashid (72) at two-under and tied 51st, Chiragh Kumar (72) at one-over and tied 77th and Abhijit Chadha (76) at eight-over in 107th missed making the card but will be eligible to play the Asian Development Tour, which also grants world ranking points from this year.
The ADT has more than a dozen events with top-five making the full card for the following year.
Chan Kim (65), who started the day at tied 18th, topped the field of the Final Stage at 13-under 272 as he played the final round in a six-under 65. Richard Lee (74) was second at 273 while Tim Stewart (69) was third at 274.
The event was played over two courses at Springfield and Imperial. The final round was held at Springfield.
Gangjee, one-under for three rounds, and needing a good final round to make the top-40, opened with a birdie, but bogeys on ninth and tenth and then pars on next three meant he was almost out of the race.
He was just one-under and way off the top-40 when he came to the 14th tee. But he pulled back strongly from there as he birdied the par-3 15th and from then was on fire. He birdied the 14th, the 15th and the 16th.
He parred the 17th and was well inside the top-40 at that stage, but for good measure he birdied the final hole to for a day`s work of three-under 68.
However, there was heartbreak for Rashid, who had the card and a top-40 place well within his grasp when he came to the 18th. He was two-under for the day and four-under for the tournament and inside the top-40.
But he struck disaster as he ended with a triple bogey on the par-5 18th and dropped to two-under for four rounds and ended in tied 51st.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark