Gangjee lies fifth, Jeev ninth at Singapore Golf
Singapore: Fresh from his American experience, Rahil Gangjee carded a flawless six-under 65 to position himself in tied fifth place, while Jeev Milkha Singh was tied ninth after the opening round of the USD 6 six million Barclays Singapore Open golf.
Gangjee rolled in six birdies against no bogeys in win conditions.
Jeev, showing tremendous resilience in playing through a pain barrier and armed with "renewed confidence" in his game, brought home a five-under 66, which could have been slightly better but for the only flaw of the day - a bogey on the 18th.
He was tied for ninth with 12 others, including an amateur.
Gangjee and Jeev`s showings were among a string of low scores at the Tanjong Course, where Edoardo Molinari and James Morrison blazed through with a nine-under 62 each. Both had 10 birdies? Molinari had six on the back nine - against one bogey each.
There were four other Indians with sub-par rounds as Anirban Lahiri (69) was 54th and Chiragh Kumar, Himmat Rai and SSP Chowrasia carded 70 each to be tied 81st. Things were not too good the rest as Shiv Kapur was one-over 72 in 126th and Jyoti Randhawa, Gaganjeet Bhullar, Mukesh Kumar, Rashid Khan and Digvijay Singh shot 73 each to be tied 140th in the 204-player field.
Ashok Kumar shot 74 while Gaurav Ghei (78), Sujjan Singh (78) and Manav Jaini (80) may well have shot themselves out of the tournament.
Gangjee, who spent the entire season traveling and playing on the Nationwide for 25 weeks, said, "The American experience has toughened me. I am looking forward to going back next year and build on all that I learnt this year. The way I played was a result of all the hard knocks one has to face on a tough tour like in the US."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31