Gary Player credits `focus on fitness` for `good health` on 78th birthday
Johannesburg: Professional golfer Gary Player, who is widely regarded as South Africa`s greatest ever sportsman celebrated his 78th birthday yesterday.
According to Sport24, Player has nine Major victories to his name - Masters (1961, 1974, 1978), US Open (1965), Open Championship (1959, 1968, 1974) and PGA Championship (1962, 1972).
He has 24 PGA Tour victories to his name, 73 on the Sunshine Tour and 19 on the Champions Tour, as well as 134 `other` wins on both the regular and senior tours, the report said.
Among his numerous honours, Player was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1974, the report added.
Player will celebrate his birthday by adding to his over 25 million kilometres travelled in flying to China where he will help to raise money for AIDS orphans through the Gary Player Invitational in Shanghai.
He said that focusing on fitness and his health early on in his career had allowed him to still be strong at the age of 78, adding that he is fit, healthy and as long as he remains so, he would continue to travel and educate as many young people as he can.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs