Gary Player credits `focus on fitness` for `good health` on 78th birthday
Johannesburg: Professional golfer Gary Player, who is widely regarded as South Africa`s greatest ever sportsman celebrated his 78th birthday yesterday.
According to Sport24, Player has nine Major victories to his name - Masters (1961, 1974, 1978), US Open (1965), Open Championship (1959, 1968, 1974) and PGA Championship (1962, 1972).
He has 24 PGA Tour victories to his name, 73 on the Sunshine Tour and 19 on the Champions Tour, as well as 134 `other` wins on both the regular and senior tours, the report said.
Among his numerous honours, Player was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1974, the report added.
Player will celebrate his birthday by adding to his over 25 million kilometres travelled in flying to China where he will help to raise money for AIDS orphans through the Gary Player Invitational in Shanghai.
He said that focusing on fitness and his health early on in his career had allowed him to still be strong at the age of 78, adding that he is fit, healthy and as long as he remains so, he would continue to travel and educate as many young people as he can.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad