Gary Player credits `focus on fitness` for `good health` on 78th birthday
Johannesburg: Professional golfer Gary Player, who is widely regarded as South Africa`s greatest ever sportsman celebrated his 78th birthday yesterday.
According to Sport24, Player has nine Major victories to his name - Masters (1961, 1974, 1978), US Open (1965), Open Championship (1959, 1968, 1974) and PGA Championship (1962, 1972).
He has 24 PGA Tour victories to his name, 73 on the Sunshine Tour and 19 on the Champions Tour, as well as 134 `other` wins on both the regular and senior tours, the report said.
Among his numerous honours, Player was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1974, the report added.
Player will celebrate his birthday by adding to his over 25 million kilometres travelled in flying to China where he will help to raise money for AIDS orphans through the Gary Player Invitational in Shanghai.
He said that focusing on fitness and his health early on in his career had allowed him to still be strong at the age of 78, adding that he is fit, healthy and as long as he remains so, he would continue to travel and educate as many young people as he can.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling