Gauri ends title drought by winning Usha Southern India golf
Bengaluru: Gauri Monga beat back a strong challenge from in-form Gurbani Singh to held on to her narrow lead and win the Usha IGU Southern India Ladies golf tournament title on the final day here on Wednesday.
Gauri carded a 73 to total three-over 219 and Gurbani (71) aggregated 220. It was Gauri`s first title in almost two years. The winners were presented with the trophies by Ashwini Nachappa, former national champion sprinter and Arjuna Awardee.
Gauri, who has benefited from her appearances in Usha-IGU events over the past few years, has had a chequered career, which seemed to be taking off with her win at All India Ladies in 2010-11, when she also topped Order of Merit.
But then a suspension by IGU cost her an Asian Games appearance and then her school-leaving examinations put a break on her career. Now she seems to have picked up again following a third place last week at Usha Karnataka Ladies and now finally a win.
The win also made up for her second place finish behind Gurbani at the same event last year.
Gauri began the day one shot clear of Gursimar Badwal (76) and Tvesa Malik (75). But the latter two fell back even as Gurbani made a charge. Three behind Gauri at the start of the day, she came within one shot by the 11th.
Both had carded one-under front nines and then Gauri bogeyed the 10th and Gurbani birdied the 11th. Gauri birdied the 15th and bogeyed the 16th as the gap stayed in her favour by one. A bogey by Gurbani on 17th put her back by two and despite a closing bogey by a tense Gauri, she pulled off a great win by one shot.
Astha Madan, the first round leader crept up to third place with a final round of 73 for a total of 221, while Tvesa Malik was fourth at 222.
Gursimar Badwal was fifth at 223 and Raksha Phadke was sixth at 226. Aditi Ashok, second in the last two events, was seventh despite a day`s best 71 and she totaled 227. In Category A, Gurbani was first at 220, with Astha Madan and Tvesa Malik second and third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation