Gauri Monga takes honours on day 1 at USHA DGC Ladies golf
New Delhi: Home favourite Gauri Monga sank back-to-back birdies on the 15th and 16th holes to grab the lead at the end of the opening day of the 4th USHA DGC Ladies Open Amateur Golf Championship here on Tuesday.
Gauri finished the day with a score of two-under 70, a clear three strokes ahead of second-placed Ridhima Dilawari, also of the Delhi Golf Club.
Both Gauri and Ridhima put up a fine display of percentage golf, both carding just one bogey through 18 holes, but Gauri`s three birdies on the day, meant she holds a great advantage going in to Day 2.
Gauri`s was also the only sub-par round of the day as most of the field struggled to even save par on a course which has been known to test even the very best.
Seher Atwal came in third with a card of three-over 75 and defending champion Tvesa Malik finished joint fourth with an eventual score of six-over 78.
Some other fancied competitors like Gaurika Bishnoi (seven over 79) who won the Northern Indian Open last week at Gurgaon`s Classic Golf course and Millie Saroha (eight over 80) also finished well within the top 10 to stay well in the hunt.
There are 36 more holes to encounter before the winner is decided in this three day event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB