Golf: Match Play gets new format for 2015
London: Golf`s Match Play Championship has a new venue and a revised format for 2015, the US PGA Tour announced on Wednesday.
The World Golf Championships event will move to San Francisco`s TPC Harding Park after an eight-year run in Arizona and it will feature group play and a knockout stage.
It will also be played the week before The Players Championship, PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said on Wednesday.
"It`s a lot more golf," Finchem says. "There are going to be 96 matches for fans here to go out and watch on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday."
The top 64 players in the world will be broken down into 16 groups of four instead of the current former bracket-style format, when the top-ranked player would face No. 64 and so on.
The winner of each group will move into the knockout stage until there are two left standing for the final.
Harding Park will also get its second Presidents Cup in 2025 after hosting in 2009. The course will host its first PGA Championship in 2020.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi court reserves order on criminal complaint against Arvind Kejriwal
- Fishermen killing case: Accused Italian marine Salvatore Girone returns home from India
- Pakistan may seek India's help in curbing terror: Rajnath Singh
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis pair enters 2016 French Open mixed-doubles quarters
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in