Golfer Dharma triumphs at Tata Open
Jamshedpur: Bangalore`s M. Dharma joined the winner’s circle on the PGTI after a three-stroke victory at the 12th Tata Open here Sunday.
Dharma fired a two-under-69 in the final round to end up with a tournament total of 13-under-272. Jamshedpur-based amateur Karan Taunk had a creditable runner-up finish at 10-under-275.
The entire field played nine holes each on both courses -- Beldih and Golmuri. While one half of the field teed off from Beldih, the other half began from Golmuri.
Thirty-three golfers with the best scores at the end of Round 3 teed off from Golmuri and finished at Beldih. The par for the combined courses was 71.
Dharma (66-70-67-69), the overnight joint leader, made three birdies against a lone bogey in the fourth round to finally break the victory barrier in his ninth year on the professional circuit.
The 27-year-old played a steady final round as he made good chip-putts for birdies on the fourth, ninth and 12th to stay ahead through the day. The only blemish on his card was the bogey on the eighth that came as a result of a three-putt.
“I had a fabulous week here as I played to my potential and just had one ordinary round on the second day. My chipping was excellent today and I never lost focus,” said Dharma, who has now climbed from 19th place to seventh on the PGTI’s Rankings after picking up the winner’s cheque of Rs.8,08,250.
Delhi’s Shamim Khan (68-72-71-66) claimed third place with a total score of eight-under-277. Shamim carded a five-under-66 in the final round that featured six birdies and a bogey.
Manav Jaini of Delhi was a further shot behind in fourth.
The last event of the 2013 PGTI season will be staged in Kolkata next week and will feature only the top-60 players in the rankings along. Rashid Khan leads the rankings with earnings of Rs.41,80,634.
13-under-272: M. Dharma
10-under-275: Karan Taunk (A)
8-under-277: Shamim Khan
7-under-278: Manav Jaini
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown