Golfer Jimenez becomes oldest ever winner of European Tour at 48
London: Golfer Miguel Angel Jimenez has become the oldest European Tour winner on by shooting a 5-under 65 to win his third Hong Kong Open title.
The Spanish ace enjoyed his trademark celebration after winning the title just five weeks away from his 49th birthday.
According to the Sun, at 48 years and 318 days, Jimenez is more than nine months older than the Tour’s previous record holder, Irishman Des Smyth.
“Maybe I am able to keep playing so long because of all the olive oil in my joints and the nice Rioja wine, those things keep you fit and flexible,” the report quoted Jimenez, as saying.
“The most important thing is that I do what I like to do in my life and golf has given me all of this pleasure,” he said.
“I still love it and I think that is fantastic, to love what you’re doing, and enjoy yourself,” he added.
Jimenez, a Ryder Cup star and vice- captain in 1997 and at Medinah in September, fired a brilliant final-round five-under-par 65 to finish on 15 under, a shot clear of Swede Fredrik Andersson Hed who carded a 64.
According to the report, Jimenez bagged 165,000 pounds for the win and is now past the 20 million pounds mark in career earnings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city