Golfer Lahiri eyes strong showing at CIMB Classic
Kuala Lumpur: Indian golfer Anirban Lahiri is eyeing a top finish at the star-studded $7 million CIMB Classic next week to haul himself into the chase for the Asian Tour Order of Merit crown.
Lahiri, a three-time Asian Tour winner, will be amongst a stellar cast at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club which will include include multiple Major winner Phil Mickelson of the United States, defending champion Nick Watney and Spanish stalwart Sergio Garcia.
Major champion Ernie Els of South Africa, former Masters Tournament winner Bubba Watson of the United States and Kiradech Aphibarnrat of Thailand, the current Asian Tour No.1, will also feature in the CIMB Classic.
Lahiri, ranked eighth on the Order of Merit with $156,973, knows a strong week in Malaysia will put him in position to challenge for the Merit crown. He trails Kiradech by approximately $550,000.
"Obviously it will be a very important event that shapes the Order of Merit. Anybody that finishes high up that week is going to have a good chance at winning the Order of Merit," said the 26-year-old Lahiri, who has already won once this season.
The young Indian, who finished tied 26th here last season, knows there will be plenty to play for as the winner of the tourney will earn playing rights on the PGA Tour and a prized spot in the 2014 Masters Tournament.
"Giving it official status on the PGA Tour and on the Asian Tour will change the importance and stature of the event. The attitude towards the event will change and players will be more serious. There`s a lot more on offer apart from the prize money and experience and I`m really looking forward to the challenge," said Lahiri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'