Greg Norman backs McIlroy to return stronger after Masters meltdown
London: Golfing great Greg Norman has backed Rory McIlroy to come back and succeed at the Masters a year after a last-day meltdown.
McIlroy has thanked Norman for “reaching out” and offering counselling following the Ulsterman’s collapse last year. And the double Open winner insisted the US Open champion can triumph this time round.
The Daily mail quoted Norman, now 57, as saying: “I don’t care who you name, whether it’s Arnold Palmer or myself or Ballesteros or Tom Watson – we have all experienced a little bit of a meltdown. It’s all relative to how you react to it. A lot of people reached out to me when it happened and it’s a very calming feeling.”
He added: “I really put Rory as high favourite going into Augusta this year. He is putting beautifully, his short game is great, he has the perfect ball flight for Augusta National and now he has to manage his expectations going in.”
McIlroy, 22, told Sky Sports his heart-to-hearts with Norman have helped his mental game, adding: “Greg was very good. He said to me that I was 21 when it happened to me and he was 41, so he made me realise that it wasn’t going to be my last chance.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- WATCH: At Stor Palace inauguration, PM Narendra Modi hails India's historic ties with Afghanistan
- 7th Pay Commission: Delhi govt notifies hike in salaries, pensions for over 1 lakh employees
- Olympics 2016: Andy Murray dominates in Rio Games, outsider Monica Puig arrives on big stage
- SALUTE! What a mom she is! This lady catches her son teasing girl - WATCH what happened next
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's 'workout tips' will give you major 'Baar Baar Dekho' feels! Pic inside