Greg Norman says bad back contributed to `96 Masters meltdown
Melbourne: It is an excuse 17 years in the making but former world number one Greg Norman has finally come up with an explanation for his infamous final-round flop at the 1996 U.S. Masters which gifted Briton Nick Faldo the famed `Green Jacket`.
Norman, who held a six-stroke lead heading into the final round but crashed to a 78 in one of the greatest sporting `chokes` of all time, said he was suffering from a bad back and it was not just a case of nerves getting the better of him.
"There`s more to it than people realise because I did have back issues that morning," the 58-year-old told the "Australian Story" programme on state broadcaster ABC.
"I tried to walk it off but I couldn`t. I told my coach, `today`s not going to be easy.`"
Norman ended up losing one of golf`s most coveted titles by five strokes, his third agonising near-miss at Augusta.
The two-time British Open champion also finished runner-up in 1986 when he bogeyed the last hole to miss out on a playoff with a 46-year-old Jack Nicklaus.
A year later he was beaten in a playoff by Larry Mize, who chipped in to win.
Some will question why Norman has waited so long to break his silence on the back problem, but most golf fans but will understand his reaction to the galling Masters failure.
"I disappeared down to the beach after the US Masters and lay on the beach and cried, because I felt like I`d completely screwed up winning a tournament that I wanted to win," the man known as `the Great White Shark` said.
"That would be about the only time that I would have brought the emotion of a golf tournament back home."
Adam Scott ended Australia`s long wait for a Masters winner this year, and dedicated his maiden major trophy to Norman, his long-time mentor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow