Guan makes cut at New Orleans, Glover grabs lead
New Orleans: Chinese phenomenon Guan Tianlang fired a three-under-par 69 to make the cut in the US PGA Tour Zurich Classic as Lucas Glover took a one shot lead over Boo Weekley after two rounds.
Guan`s second-round fired three-under-par 69 followed an even-par opening round and gave him a three-under total of 141.
That was nine shots off the 36-hole lead of Glover, but saw him make the cut right on the number in a tie for 57th.
"I think I played a very good round today," the 14-year-old amateur said after a round that included five birdies and two bogeys.
"I made a lot of birdies and a couple of good up and downs. So I think I had a pretty good round, I think. I think I made the cut."
He said making the cut had been one of his goals.
Two weeks ago at Augusta National, Guan became the youngest player ever to compete in the Masters and the second-youngest in any of the major championships.
He shot a final-round 75 for a 12-over total of 300, earning Low Amateur honors.
His parents were among the large gallery that followed him on Friday at TPC Louisiana.
Guan spent a month in the New Orleans area last year working on his game, a factor he believes contributed to the sizable number of fans who followed him.
"I`m not too surprised because I came here last year and I have some friends here," he said.
Glover, a former US Open champion who is seeking his first win since the 2011 Wells Fargo Championship, had a 36-hole total of 12-under 132.
Weekley carded a four-under par 68 at TPC Louisiana for 133. D.A. Points also notched a 68 and was alone in third on 134. Morgan Hoffmann`s 69 gave him a nine-under total of 135, one shot ahead of last year`s runner-up, South African Ernie Else, who posted a 69 for 136.
Glover had eight birdies in his round, including a four-footer at the first.
He followed that up with a birdie at the second, where he chipped his third shot to seven feet and made the putt.
Glover, who won the US Open title in 2009, bogeyed the third, but rebounded with birdies at three of his next four holes.
He made a bogey from a bunker at the 10th, but responded with birdies at 11 and 13 before a bogey at 17 -- which he promptly followed with an 18-foot birdie putt at the last.
"Ball-striking wise, I`ve been where I`m used to being. But I don`t know that I`ve ever putted like I have the past two days, so I don`t know if I can say I`m back because I`ve never been there," said Glover, who has struggled this season after knee surgery cut his 2012 campaign short in September.
"It changes every weekend," Glover said. "I`ve made a little adjustment with my setup, a little more stable on my left side and a little more weight left. Did I see this coming? Yeah, it was just one of those things where I had to get the putter straightened out."
Weekley opened his round with an eagle at the par-four 10th. He also had four birdies and two bogeys, capping his round with a seven-foot birdie at the par-three ninth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof