Guan youngest to make the cut at Masters
Washington: Fourteen-year-old Chinese golfer Guan Tianlang finished 3-over 75 at 2013 Masters, recording himself as the youngest player ever to make the cut at a major golf tournament.
Guan wrapped up his first two days` competition with four-over. He was 10-shot over first-placed Jason Day (under), and that was enough for him to stand above the cut line. Guan was the only amateur to achieve that.
"I made the cut!" said Guan about his achievement. "I hope there will be more miracles ahead. I want to thank my parents and all who helped, cared about and supported me."
Two top Chinese golfers had played at Masters before Guan, Zhang Lianwei (2004) and Liang Wenchong (2008), and both of them missed the cut this time around.
Italian talent Matteo Manassero, the playing mate of Guan on Thursday and Friday, was 16 years, 11 months when he made the cut at 2010 Masters. Guan broke his record at the age of 14 years and five months. Guan also became the youngest player ever to make the cut at any PGA Tour tournaments.
Guan broke another record on Friday, maybe not as good as the one above, when he was assessed a one-stroke penalty at the 17th hole because of slow play. He is the only player to receive that kind of penalty in the long history of the tournament.
"I think I just changed my routine before the Masters, and the routine is good, but I think today is pretty hard because if you`re timed only 40 seconds, it`s pretty hard because you need to make the decision," Guan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi