Gurbani knocks out Aditi from Usha All India Ladies final
Kolkata: Gurbani Singh delivered a knockout punch on Aditi Ashok as she eliminated the defending champion and moved into the final of the Usha All India Ladies Matchplay Championships on Saturday.
In a clash that was billed as the `final before final`, Gurbani rallied on the back-nine and won 3&2, which also sealed the Order of Merit for her.
In the other semi-final, Millie Saroha was beaten by the less fancied Gursimar Badwal 3&2.
Gurbani started well and won the opening hole, but Aditi hit back winning the fourth and fifth and then extended her lead to two-up.
But a double bogey on the ninth reduced the lead to 1-up at the turn. The match was level when Aditi missed a two-foot par putt on 11th.
Gurbani quickly went into the lead after that and then added two more and went three-up on the 15th. Aditi needing to win the remaining three holes managed only to halve the 16th and crashed out.
In the second semi-final, Millie won the first hole and maintained the lead till the 5th where Millie`s bogey allowed Gursimar to level match.
But after that Gursimar was consistent and ran up a three-up lead to close the match 3&2.
The 36-hole final will be played with the first 18 in the morning and the next 18 in the afternoon. Gurbani will start as the favourite but the match should be well-fought as Gursimar has shown herself to be very tenacious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...