Gurbani sets course record at Usha WB Ladies Open golf
Kolkata: Defending champion Gurbani Singh set the Tollygunge course on fire with a record-breaking six-under 64 at the par-70 course on the first day of the Usha West Bengal Ladies Open Amateur Golf Championship here on Wednesday.
Gurbani, who won the Usha Southern India Ladies Open earlier in the year, was a whopping nine shot clear of second place Aditi Ashok (73) after the first round.
Ankita Kedalya and Astha Madan shot 74 each to be tied third, while Sehar Atwal and Millie Saroha, the Usha Northern Indian champion, carded 75 each in tied fifth place.
So dominant was Gurbani that she had an incredible eight birdies, four on either side of the turn and her two bogeys came on 12th and 14th holes.
Her birdies came on second, fourth, fifth and seventh and at the turn she was four-under. She then birdied 13th, 15th, 16th and 18th and in between dropped two bogeys also for an amazing 64.
Gurbani`s score has been the lowest this season and for quite some on the women`s circuit and barring a big reversal of form she should run away an easy winner, even though there are two more rounds to go.
Aditi, who has been playing without a break for a long period, carded 73 with just one birdie on the 18th and four bogeys.
In terms of the category positions, Gurbani (64) was ten clear of Astha Madan in Category A, while in category B, Aditi led Ankita by one.
In Category C, Arshia Mahant carded 81 and led Riya Ahuja (87) by six shots, while in Category D, Vasundhara Tihara (87) held a two-shot lead over Tanishka Kumar (89).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Arshad Warsi all set to don director's hat!
- GST Bill: Arun Jaitley to meet state finance ministers on Tuesday
- 'Madaari' Box Office collections: Irrfan Khan starrer mints Rs 5.75 crores
- Narsingh Yadav cries foul after dope test shock, says truth will come out
- CM Mehbooba Mufti favours abrogation of AFSPA from parts of J&K; says if successful it can be revoked in entirety