Gurbani to meet Gursimar in All India matchplay final
Kolkata: Golfer Gurbani Singh delivered the knockout punch on Aditi Ashok, as she eliminated the defending champion and moved into the final of the Usha All India Ladies Matchplay Championships at the Tollygunge Saturday.
Gurbani rallied on the back nine and won 3 and 2 and it also sealed the Order of Merit for her.
In the other semifinal, Millie Saroha was beaten by the less fancied Gursimar Badwal 3 and 2.
Gurbani started well and won the opening hole but Aditi hit back winning the fourth and fifth and then extended her lead to two-up. But a double bogey on the ninth reduced the lead to 1-up at the turn.
The match was level when Aditi missed a two-foot par putt on 11th. Gurbani quickly went into the lead after that and then added two more and went three-up on the 15th. Aditi needing to win the remaining three holes managed only to halve the 16th and crashed out.
In the second semifinal, Millie won the first hole and maintained the lead till the fifth where Millie`s bogey allowed Gursimar to level match. But after that Gursimar was consistent and ran up a three-up lead to close the match 3 and 2.
The 36-hole final will be played with the first 18 in the morning and the next 18 in the afternoon.
Gurbani Singh will start as the favourite but the match should be well-fought as Gursimar has shown herself to be very tenacious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees