Gurbani to meet Gursimar in All India matchplay final
Kolkata: Golfer Gurbani Singh delivered the knockout punch on Aditi Ashok, as she eliminated the defending champion and moved into the final of the Usha All India Ladies Matchplay Championships at the Tollygunge Saturday.
Gurbani rallied on the back nine and won 3 and 2 and it also sealed the Order of Merit for her.
In the other semifinal, Millie Saroha was beaten by the less fancied Gursimar Badwal 3 and 2.
Gurbani started well and won the opening hole but Aditi hit back winning the fourth and fifth and then extended her lead to two-up. But a double bogey on the ninth reduced the lead to 1-up at the turn.
The match was level when Aditi missed a two-foot par putt on 11th. Gurbani quickly went into the lead after that and then added two more and went three-up on the 15th. Aditi needing to win the remaining three holes managed only to halve the 16th and crashed out.
In the second semifinal, Millie won the first hole and maintained the lead till the fifth where Millie`s bogey allowed Gursimar to level match. But after that Gursimar was consistent and ran up a three-up lead to close the match 3 and 2.
The 36-hole final will be played with the first 18 in the morning and the next 18 in the afternoon.
Gurbani Singh will start as the favourite but the match should be well-fought as Gursimar has shown herself to be very tenacious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on