Hong Kong win puts Poulter back in top 10
Hong Kong: Ian Poulter survived a final-round challenge from fellow Briton Simon Dyson to win the USD 2.5-million (1.5 million pounds) Hong Kong Open on Sunday and move back into the world’s top 10.
Poulter, who began the final day with a two-stroke lead, recorded a three-under-par 67 to win by a stroke with a 22-under par total.
Dyson, winner of the tournament in 2000, started his round three shots behind Poulter but went into the lead when he birdied the seventh hole to go five under for the day.
A bogey at the eighth, however, checked his progress and he finished with a 65 to share second place on 21 under par with 17-year-old Italian Matteo Manassero, who signed for a 62.
Poulter, 34, recovered from finding a greenside water hazard at the third hole to record three birdies in his next four holes before effectively sealing a 12th professional title with an eagle at the par-five 13th.
“It feels more than good to win because the last two weeks I’ve been really disappointed,” Poulter told reporters.
“In Shanghai (HSBC Champions) I was lying fourth with six holes to play, and last week (Singapore Open) I was in a position to again win and didn’t do it.
“But I’ve played great all week this week and today I actually played better to shoot three under than I did in shooting 10 under on Friday.
“I don’t think I have hit so many good shots...for a long time so it was nice. I felt calm all day. I felt as if I just kept going about my business, I’d make a few birdie putts and that would be enough to win. It’s very pleasing to do so.
“It’s nice to be back inside the top 10 on the rankings especially after being number five earlier this year in winning the Match-Play Championship,” he said.
“The next goal is to get to number eight and then back up to number five.”
The 17-year-old Manassero won 157,093 euros to take his earnings to 846,705 since he turned professional in May and said he was looking forward to the season-ending Dubai World Championship which starts on Thursday.
“It was a fantastic day for me as I started the day quite far behind. Poulter was at 19 under par and I was 13,” he said.
“I played some great shots today so I’m very happy with the way I tried to catch the leaders.
“I go to Dubai tonight and it’s going to be a great week. I’ve made the top 60 and it’s been a great year and a good way to finish it.”
US Open champion Graeme McDowell also heads to Dubai having cut Martin Kaymer’s Race to Dubai lead by a further 76,689 euros in finishing fifth on 18 under par.
“It’s been another great week and I’m taking some great form to Dubai and that’s the key,” the Northern Irishman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo