Hornets send Larrazabal into Malaysian water hazard
Kuala Lumpur: Spain`s Pablo Larrazabal jumped into a water hazard to escape a swarm of attacking hornets during the Malaysian Open on Friday in what he called the "scariest moment" of his golfing career.
Larrazabal was walking along the fairway of the fifth hole at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club when the hornets struck, stinging him on the face and head.
"They were huge and like 30 or 40 of them started to attack me big time," he said.
"I didn`t know what to do. My caddie told me to run, so I start running like a crazy guy, but the hornets were still there, so the other players told me to jump in the lake."
"I ran to the lake, threw my scorecard down, took off my shoes and jumped in the water. It was the scariest moment of my career, for sure. I`ve never been so scared."
The scare did little harm to his play -- after brief treatment by a tournament doctor, he went on to birdie the hole on his way to a four-under 68 for the day.
He added that it will be "very, very scary to play that hole" on the weekend.
"I`m not sure what I`m going to do, but hopefully I will play it as quickly as I can."
Larrazabal, 30, ended the day tied for 25th at two-under, 11 strokes behind a surging Lee Westwood of England.
Westwood carded a six-under 66 for the day, and was four shots clear of his closest competitor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez