I would not pick Tiger Woods for Ryder Cup: Former US captain
London: Former US Ryder Cup team captain Paul Azinger Sunday said he would not pick Tiger Woods in this year`s event and feels that the 14-time major winner will rule himself out of the contest slated Sep 23-28 at Gleneagles, Scotland.
The Ryder Cup is a biennial men`s golf competition between teams from Europe and the United States.
Azinger led the United States to their only victory in the 21st century at Valhalla in 2008, when Woods was ruled out through injury.
Woods, a former World No.1, is once again struggling for both form and fitness and Azinger believes that current US captain Tom Watson will not pick Woods as one of his three wild cards.
"I don`t see how you can take an injured player who is not playing well," Azinger told the Golf Channel. "I don`t think I would. And also Tiger has not necessarily been the formula for success either. I just don`t see how you can pick him at this point."
"I am guessing he will call Tom and beg out of this and say `I am not ready`, make Tom`s decision easier," said Azinger.
Six-time major winner Nick Faldo thinks the era of Woods dominating the game is now finished.
"Tiger may win again. And we would love to see him win again, wouldn`t we? But the period, the Tiger era, I have to say is over," Faldo said in his role as an analyst for CBS.
"We are in a new era now. Whether it becomes Rory McIlroy`s era, we don`t quite know yet. He`s sure making a damn good case for it. But there`s such great quality, the quality left and right of Tiger I think is amazing.
"The era of his dominance is over. We`re definitely on a new era now."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi