IGU launches development vision Tee20 for next seven years
New Delhi: With Golf returning to Olympics at the 2016 Rio Games, the Indian Golf Union (IGU) has released its development vision for the next seven years -- Tee20 -- to take golf in the country to the next level.
"Our aim is to help the game grow in the country and we need to get more and more people into the plan," said IGU president-elect Raian F Irani.
"We want golf to reach small towns and schools, from where we hope to produce another Jeev (Milkha Singh) or Arjun (Atwal). Through this new vision, we hope to take golf to another golden era," he added.
Architect of the plan, Ishwar Achanta, also a council member of IGU, said: "We will approach products of IGU like Jeev and Arjun, the iconic figures of Indian golf, to be part of the initiative. They will act as catalysts to help us grow the game across the country."
IGU`s vision Tee20 has three keystones: growth, sustain and excel.
Firstly, to provide opportunity to all and sundry to play golf, secondly to increase the number of golfers by providing them quality experience and finally to create a system by which Indian players can realise their potential and perform at the optimum level of their capabilities.
A bugdet of around 50 crore will be spent in the seven-year-programme and IGU also informed that they are in touch with the sports ministry and Sports Authority Of India.
"We have written to the government, who further had been in touch with various state government in regard to get land for public golf courses.
"Many states have queried about our plans. We are expecting a positive response very soon."
Besides, the governing body is also working to come up with zonal academies across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves