Inaugural Avantha winner Andrew Dodt eyes second title
Noida: Inaugural Avantha Masters winner Andrew Dodt of Australia is eyeing his second European Tour title this weekend and says he can`t wait to come back to India for his "favourite" tournament.
"Yeah, it`s one of my favourite events on the Tour, so I`m really looking forward to it. It`s obviously a different course this year and I haven?t been out there yet so don`t know what to expect, but hopefully it suits my game and I can have a good week," said 26-year-old Dodt who won in 2010.
Speaking of his memories of that win in 2010, he said, "It really kick-started my career on The European Tour. It probably hasn`t gone as well since as I would`ve liked it to, but I managed to keep my card by the skin of my teeth and had some decent results at the start of this season, so hopefully this tournament can be good to me again."
Dodt said he would love to experiment with spicy Indian food. "I think you have to when you come out here, because there`s not too many alternatives! I enjoy trying different foods and experimenting ? it`s all part of the experience."
"I really like the culture and the people, because they`re so friendly. It`s certainly very different to Europe and I love the climate too ? it feels like being back home in Australia," he said.
Dodt just about managed to keep his European Tour card with a gutsy showing at the 2012 Hong Kong Open where a tied 37th place finish kept him in 118th place in The Race to Dubai, the second-last exempt spot.
He took up Affiliate Membership of The European Tour the week before the Avantha Masters in New Delhi and prospered immediately by winning in India in his first start of 2010.
Earlier he played on the Asian Tour in 2009, when finished 15th in the Order of Merit. In 2008 he came close to his first Asian Tour victory but was beaten in a play-off for the Hana Bank Vietnam Masters by Thongchai Jaidee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre