India No 1 amateur golfer Vani Kapoor shows her class
Gurgaon: Vani Kapoor, the country`s number one amateur golfer, showed her class as she came back strongly from a four-over at one stage, here in the second leg of the Callaway Junior Golf Tour 2011-2012.
The Golden Greens Golf Club has been a happy hunting ground for Vani and it was no different this time around.
The diminutive 17-year-old made her way into the record books earlier this year in September at the same venue when she won a ladies professional event.
In fact, she decimated the field, which included India`s top professional golfers like Simi Mehra, Sharmila Nicollet and Nalini Singh, by 10 shots.
Back for the one-day Callaway event, Vani got away to a slow start. Four-over after seven holes with a three-putt double bogey, she came back strongly to be one-under for the remaining holes.
She clocked 33 stableford points, five better than runners-up Vidushi Sinha in the combined girl`s A and B Category.
"I have just played in Noida where the greens are slower so it took me a few holes to get used to the pace," said Vani.
Conditions were perfect at the Martin Hawtree course as over 100 junior golfers (quite a few with parents in tow) from the National Capital Region turned up for some exciting weekend golf.
Besides the NCR, the Callaway Junior Tour is going to travel to Kolkata, Bangalore, Pune and Chandigarh.
The winners and runners-up from the tour events will play the tour championship from where two winners will feature in the Callaway Junior World Championship in San Diego, USA, next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!