India slip to third place in Nomura Cup
Denarau (Fiji): The Indian Golf Union`s
amateur team conceded the advantage to slip from second
position to third shot at end of the second round of the
biennial Asia-Pacific Golf Championships for the Nomura Cup
India dropped to 226 for a total of 434 to be in the
Australia, meanwhile, stayed on top with a second round
total of 212, five worse than the first round, to lead at 419.
They were 12 shots clear of South Korea, who jumped up
the leaderboard with 213 points, and from a 10-shot deficit
against India moved to a three-shot lead at 431.
New Zealand 435 (211 + 224) were fourth and the
Philippines 441 (213 + 228) stood fifth.
The Indian quartet dropped to over par scores as Abhijit
Chadha and Khalin Joshi turned in cards of three-over 75 each.
Chadha was even par for two rounds and Joshi was
one-over, just as Chikkarangappa with a 76 was. Angad Cheema
collapsed with an 83 to be 10-over after two rounds.
In terms of individual standings, Chadha was tied eighth,
while Chikka and Joshi were tenth and Cheema 37th.
As the scene shifted from Denarau Golf Club to Nadatola
for the second round, the players struggled with the tough
The championship golf course has narrow fairways on a
hilly track and its nearly waist-high elephant grass is very
punishing when it comes to errant shots.
Wayward drives into the rough often meant lost balls. In
addition, the pin positions were also tough leading to high
Chadha playing a cautious round was even par going out
but dropped three strokes on the back nine for his 75.
Khalin, teeing off from tenth, was two-over after 9 holes
despite a couple of bad breaks. He steadied himself but a
three-putt on the seventh hole saw him finish at 75 and he was
one over for 36 holes.
The leader was Australia`s Cameron Smith at six-under
after two rounds.
Chikka, also a 10th tee starter, was in control till the
three-putt on 14th from a mere five feet. Then on 16th, he
missed the fairway and ended with a disastrous quadruple bogey
that spoiled his round.
He recovered mentally as he played the last 11 holes in
one-under, but the damage had been done and he ended with a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’