Indian girls move up to fifth place at Queen Sirikit Cup
Singapore: The Indian team moved one place up to fifth place with a two-day total of 300 to present itself a chance of a podium finish at the Tanah Merah Country Club Garden on Thursday. The defending champions Korea were runaway leaders at 277. The next four teams were within eight shots of each other. Australia (292), Philippines (294) and New Zealand (295) were lying second, third and fourth.
India were fifth at 300, while three others teams, China, Malaysia and Indonesia were tied sixth at 301. Thailand was ninth at 303. The top two scores are counted each day for the team’s total.
In the individual standings, Gurbani Singh, who had an off-day in the first round, emerged as the best Indian on the second day, when the course was playing tough and the pin positions were rather difficult at the Tanah Merah Country Club (Garden). Gurbani shot 73.
However, Aditi Ashok, who shot a second straight 75 was overall the best Indian at tied ninth at 150 after two rounds. Gurbani (79, 73) and Raksha Phadke (77, 75) with 152 were tied 16th.
The lead changed with Korean Hyo-Joo Kim (69, 65) taking over the top spot at 134. She was eight shots clear of Australian Whitney Hillier (70, 72) and New Zealand?s Lydia Ko (69, 73) who were both at 142.
On Thursday, Gurbani was playing very well at one-under after first nine, but she then dropped two shots and ended at one-over. Aditi Ashok and Raksha Phadke also played steadily at three over and finished with a score of 75 each. Aditi had a streak of nine pars in the first nine holes and missed a few birdie chances, too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid