Jack Nicklaus backs Rory McIlroy to beat his record 18 Major wins
London: US legend Jack Nicklaus has backed Northern Irish golf ace Rory McIlroy to beat his record of 18 Major wins.
Nicklaus, who last won one of golf`s big four events at the 1986 masters, said that McIlroy can beat his record and is on par to do that, adding that he would be very surprised if the Northern Irish ace dose not do so.
McIlroy, who was born three years after Nicklaus last won the 1986 Masters, secured his third Major last week, claiming The Open at Hoylake. The Northern Ireland superstar now just needs the Masters to complete a career Grand Slam.
American legend Nicklaus is widely considered the greatest ever golfer, after winning his final Major at Augusta in 1986.
US star Tiger Woods has 14 Majors, but has not won one since 2008 and Nicklaus now sees McIlroy as his biggest challenger.
Nicklaus said that a lot of guys have some success and financial success and decide they want a normal life, and added that there are other athletes that decide records are important and it is important to leave a legacy.
The American legend also said that whichever direction McIlroy heads he would be successful at whatever he does, adding that the Northern Irishman is very talented and he is the one who has to decide how hard he wants to work but he certainly has the ability to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Jio test uses commercial airwaves, but no revenue to govt: COAI
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 1st Test, Day 4: Play abandoned again in Durban
- RBL Bank's IPO oversubscribed 3 times on Day 2
- GST promises to boost GDP growth rates by up to 2%: President
- Vodafone to start e-KYC from Aug 24 for instant SIM activation