Jeev, Bhullar miss cut, Gangjee leads Indian challenge
Gurgaon: Rahil Gangjee clung onto the top 10 but the Avantha Masters golf tournament witnessed an Indian mayhem of sorts as pre-tournament favourites Jeev Milkha Singh and Gaganjeet Bhullar, along with 22 compatriots, bit dust in the rain-interrupted event.
On a day when the Indian challenge in the lone European Tour event on home soil got feebler, Gangjee (136) brought home a bogey-free three-under 69 to lie tied eighth.
Just four of his compatriots made the cut and amateur Rashid Khan -- stranded with four holes to go -- also seemed good for the final two rounds of the USD 2.1 million event.
Jyoti Randhawa (139) and former Asia number one Arjun Atwal (141) lifted their game just in time to hang around for weekend action but as many as 24 Indians -- including Jeev (145), Gaganjeet (145), Shiv Kapur (146), SSP Chowrasia (145) and Gaurav Ghei (145) -- missed the cut which was set at 143.
Indian Open champion C Muniyappa needs to birdie his final hole tomorrow to make the cut.
Englishman Barry Lane posted a five-under 67 for a two-day total of 10-under 134 to take the clubhouse lead after heavy rain dropped early curtain on the day`s proceedings.
Yih-Shin Chan and John Parry joined him at the top even though
they were yet to complete the second round.
Gangjee`s was a strong bogey-free round today and playing his back nine first, the Kolkata pro nailed birdies on the 14th, 18th and seventh holes to keep alive his hopes of adding to his maiden 2004 Asian Tour title in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert