Jeev to host invitational Shubhkamna Champions
New Delhi: India`s top golfers will be seen in action in the inaugural edition of the invitational Shubhkamna Champions at the Noida Golf Course from December 21 to 23.
In a first of its kind initiative, a select group of top-30 golfers would vie for the Champions of the Champions title with Rs 60 lakh on offer as prize money. The winner will take home a purse of Rs 10.8 lakh.
The tournament has been conceptualised by twice Asian Order of Merit Winner Jeev Milkha Singh, a first for any top level sportsperson in India.
The tournament will feature a star-studded field including Jeev, Arjun Atwal, Daniel Chopra, Rahil Gangjee, Shiv Kapur, SSP Chowrasia, Jyoti Randhawa, Anirban Lahiri and Gaganjeet Bhullar among others.
The format of the championship is unique with a 54-hole stroke play contest. The prize-money distribution will be on the lines of the USPGA Tour`s Finale Tour championship, which also features top-30 players on the US Tour each year.
The tournament will see in action 10 International tour members and 20 winners of 2012 PGTI tournaments.
"We had this idea a year ago. We wanted to do something for golf and so we thought of coming up with an event which can promote the game," said Jeev.
"Even if you look internationally we gave seen so many great players such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Tiger Woods and K J Choi coming up with invitational tournaments. So we decided to start something in India and thanks to the sponsors, we finalised everything a month ago. It is a dream come true for me," he added.
Jeev has signed a deal with Shubhkamna for three years and is confident that this tournament will be an annual affair.
Piyush Tiwari, Director, Shubhkamna Advert said, "Bringing every top golfer in one place at the end of the season was a huge task. But they consented to it and we as a sponsor will go all the way to develop golf properties in the future."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams
- Complete list of award winners at IPL 2015