John Daly walks off course at Australian Open
Sydney: Controversial American John Daly stormed out of the Australian Open midway through Thursday`s opening round, in a move described by tournament officials as unacceptable and unprofessional.
Daly, who has a history of blow-ups in tournaments, shook hands with his playing partners Craig Parry and Hunter Mahan and left the course on the 11th hole following a triple bogey seven at the previous hole.
Championship director Trevor Herden said Daly had incurred a two-shot penalty for hitting the wrong ball in a bunker on the 10th hole and then put "five or six balls" in the water on the 11th hole.
"He`s walked straight off the golf course with his son beside him, got in a courtesy car and gone straight back to the hotel," Herden said.
"It`s very disappointing for the tournament, certainly unprofessional and I am extremely bitter and disappointed that he has treated this championship this way."
Daly, 45, a two-time major winner, has a history of pulling out during tournaments and Herden urged the world`s golf tours to "deal with him in a serious fashion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci
- Nation remembers "Missile Man" APJ Abdul Kalam on his 1st death anniversary
- SHOCKING! Narsingh Yadav wanted to kill himself after dope test fiasco?
- Whoa! Ranbir Kapoor's new house is ready, GUESS who designed it?
- East India's first cadaver liver transplant in Kolkata