John Daly walks off course at Australian Open
Sydney: Controversial American John Daly stormed out of the Australian Open midway through Thursday`s opening round, in a move described by tournament officials as unacceptable and unprofessional.
Daly, who has a history of blow-ups in tournaments, shook hands with his playing partners Craig Parry and Hunter Mahan and left the course on the 11th hole following a triple bogey seven at the previous hole.
Championship director Trevor Herden said Daly had incurred a two-shot penalty for hitting the wrong ball in a bunker on the 10th hole and then put "five or six balls" in the water on the 11th hole.
"He`s walked straight off the golf course with his son beside him, got in a courtesy car and gone straight back to the hotel," Herden said.
"It`s very disappointing for the tournament, certainly unprofessional and I am extremely bitter and disappointed that he has treated this championship this way."
Daly, 45, a two-time major winner, has a history of pulling out during tournaments and Herden urged the world`s golf tours to "deal with him in a serious fashion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees