John Daly walks off course at Australian Open
Sydney: Controversial American John Daly stormed out of the Australian Open midway through Thursday`s opening round, in a move described by tournament officials as unacceptable and unprofessional.
Daly, who has a history of blow-ups in tournaments, shook hands with his playing partners Craig Parry and Hunter Mahan and left the course on the 11th hole following a triple bogey seven at the previous hole.
Championship director Trevor Herden said Daly had incurred a two-shot penalty for hitting the wrong ball in a bunker on the 10th hole and then put "five or six balls" in the water on the 11th hole.
"He`s walked straight off the golf course with his son beside him, got in a courtesy car and gone straight back to the hotel," Herden said.
"It`s very disappointing for the tournament, certainly unprofessional and I am extremely bitter and disappointed that he has treated this championship this way."
Daly, 45, a two-time major winner, has a history of pulling out during tournaments and Herden urged the world`s golf tours to "deal with him in a serious fashion".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India