John Daly walks off course at Australian Open
Sydney: Controversial American John Daly stormed out of the Australian Open midway through Thursday`s opening round, in a move described by tournament officials as unacceptable and unprofessional.
Daly, who has a history of blow-ups in tournaments, shook hands with his playing partners Craig Parry and Hunter Mahan and left the course on the 11th hole following a triple bogey seven at the previous hole.
Championship director Trevor Herden said Daly had incurred a two-shot penalty for hitting the wrong ball in a bunker on the 10th hole and then put "five or six balls" in the water on the 11th hole.
"He`s walked straight off the golf course with his son beside him, got in a courtesy car and gone straight back to the hotel," Herden said.
"It`s very disappointing for the tournament, certainly unprofessional and I am extremely bitter and disappointed that he has treated this championship this way."
Daly, 45, a two-time major winner, has a history of pulling out during tournaments and Herden urged the world`s golf tours to "deal with him in a serious fashion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Not given chance to explore my acting abilities: Shamita Shetty
- Sakshi Malik expresses desire to meet Virender Sehwag – Read Viru's HILARIOUS reply
- Airtel upgrades over 9,000 network sites under Open Network
- Thrilled to be a grandfather: Boman Irani
- Misbah-ul-Haq's conversation with wife Uzma on Twitter is a HUGE hit on the internet!