Kapur to try and qualify for British Open, Jeev fails
London: Shiv Kapur will try and earn a berth for the Open Championships as he tees up at the Local Regional qualifiers at Dunbar even as his celebrated compatriot Jeev Milkha Singh failed in his attempt at Sunningdale.
Kapur, who has had mixed luck this season after losing his card last season, has won the Challenge Tour event in Gujarat and also finished 10th at the Lyoness Open on main European Tour this year.
Kapur had played at the Open once in 2006, when he came through International Final Qualifier for Asia.
Earlier, Jeev failed in an attempt to qualify for the British Open at Sunningdale. Jeev carded 69 and 71 in the two-round qualifier and was placed tied 21st. He was two shots behind the last qualifier.
American in-form player Brooks Koepka, who has won three European Challenge Tour events this season to earn a promotion to European Tour, posted a 36-hole total of 5-under 134 to win the British Open qualifier at Sunningdale Golf Club.
He was among the nine players who earned a berth at Sunningdale. Colin Montgomerie is among the players who will try and take the route of Local Final Qualifying (LFQ) for The Open Championship.
A total of 288 players, including the likes of former Ryder Cup captain, Mark James, Ryder Cup players Jarmo Sandelin, Paul Broadhurst and Peter Baker, European Tour winners Andrew Oldcorn, Pablo Martin and Peter Hedblom, Alastair Forsyth, and veteran American Scott Dunlap.
Twelve places are on offer at the 36-hole qualifying event, which is being played over four East Lothian courses: Dunbar, Gullane No 1, The Musselburgh and North Berwick. The Open will be played at Muirfield from 18-21 July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption