Kapur to try and qualify for British Open, Jeev fails
London: Shiv Kapur will try and earn a berth for the Open Championships as he tees up at the Local Regional qualifiers at Dunbar even as his celebrated compatriot Jeev Milkha Singh failed in his attempt at Sunningdale.
Kapur, who has had mixed luck this season after losing his card last season, has won the Challenge Tour event in Gujarat and also finished 10th at the Lyoness Open on main European Tour this year.
Kapur had played at the Open once in 2006, when he came through International Final Qualifier for Asia.
Earlier, Jeev failed in an attempt to qualify for the British Open at Sunningdale. Jeev carded 69 and 71 in the two-round qualifier and was placed tied 21st. He was two shots behind the last qualifier.
American in-form player Brooks Koepka, who has won three European Challenge Tour events this season to earn a promotion to European Tour, posted a 36-hole total of 5-under 134 to win the British Open qualifier at Sunningdale Golf Club.
He was among the nine players who earned a berth at Sunningdale. Colin Montgomerie is among the players who will try and take the route of Local Final Qualifying (LFQ) for The Open Championship.
A total of 288 players, including the likes of former Ryder Cup captain, Mark James, Ryder Cup players Jarmo Sandelin, Paul Broadhurst and Peter Baker, European Tour winners Andrew Oldcorn, Pablo Martin and Peter Hedblom, Alastair Forsyth, and veteran American Scott Dunlap.
Twelve places are on offer at the 36-hole qualifying event, which is being played over four East Lothian courses: Dunbar, Gullane No 1, The Musselburgh and North Berwick. The Open will be played at Muirfield from 18-21 July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Seoul, Washington kick off joint annual war game
- Myanmar denies clashes between Indian army, ethnic group
- Black money: Govt to ban cash transactions of above Rs 3 lakh
- Must see pics! Incredible images of lava from Hawaii’s volcano cascading into the ocean (Photo feature)
- A month on, search continues for missing IAF aircraft AN-32