Kapur withdraws from Panasonic Open

Last Updated: Apr 05, 2011, 17:51 PM IST

New Delhi: Completely drained out by the hectic schedule, ace Indian golfer Shiv Kapur today withdrew from the inaugural Panasonic Open, starting at the Delhi Golf Club on Wednesday.

The Panasonic Open, to be held at the DGC from April 6-9, is one of three Indian events to feature on the Asian Tour`s 2011 calendar and Kapur`s said he decided to skip the event to recharge his batteries.

"The last couple of weeks have been good but absolutely draining at the same time. I am disappointed to say that I will not be able to participate in the Panasonic Open in my home town New Delhi but I feel this is the only option I have with a tough summer ahead," he said.

"I have played really well in the last two tournaments in New Delhi (Indian Open and Avantha Masters) so it is a shame to miss out. I do feel this will help me to further improve my game in the next couple of tournaments," Kapur added.

Kapur, a regular on the European Tour, finished third at last year`s Indian Open and was also tied third at the recently concluded Trophee Hassan II in Morocco.

He, however, was looking forward to carrying on his form into the next few tournaments in Malaysia, China and South Korea.

"Overall, I have been pleased with my game but I am continuing to work hard to improve certain aspect of my game with (coach) Jamie. It is just a question of getting everything to click at the same time and I am confident I can do that.

"I always enjoy playing in Asia as the conditions are closer to home so this mini-break will help me quickly recharge my batteries as we approach the summer," Kapur said.

PTI