Kaymer`s PGA win should spark a boom in Germany: Langer
New York: Martin Kaymer`s US PGA Championship triumph is set to spark a golfing boom in his native Germany, compatriot Bernhard Langer said on Wednesday.
"Golf has been growing in Germany ever since the 1980s and still is, and Martin came along at just the right time," double US Masters winner Langer told the European Tour`s official website (www.europeantour.com).
"Hopefully his victory will continue that trend and also add a little more. When I left the regular tour about three years ago, that`s when Martin came along and took over as the role model.”
"He has been the leading player in Germany ever since and I think he will go from strength to strength," added the 52-year-old Langer.
Kaymer, 25, became only the second major winner from his country when he beat American Bubba Watson in a three-hole playoff at Whistling Straits in Wisconsin on Sunday.
It was the sixth European Tour victory of his career, following the 2010 and 2008 Abu Dhabi Championships, the 2009 Scottish and French opens and the 2008 BMW International Open.
Langer, who won the Masters in 1985 and 1993, said: "I called Martin after his win on Sunday. I was pulling for him, I left a message on his phone to congratulate him.
"I thought he did extremely well. I am pleased he finally made the breakthrough (in a major) because a lot of people had high expectations for him.”
"The Americans don`t know him that well but in Europe he has been one of our young stars for a couple of years."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem