Kevin Sutherland joins golf`s 59-club during Champions Tour
Johannesburg: American golfer Kevin Sutherland joined one of golf`s most exclusive clubs on Saturday, as he fired away a 59 in the second round of the Champions Tour tournament at En-Joie Golf Club.
Sutherland became the first to shoot golf`s magic number on the tour for over-50s, with a 13-under par round, which included 12 birdies, one eagle and one bogey. The bogey came at the final hole of the par-72 layout, ending his bid for a 58.
If it had not been for a bogey, his 58 would have been a first in an event sanctioned by the US PGA Tour, which runs the Champions Tour, Sport24 reported.
Sutherland, whose only PGA Tour victory was at the 2002 World Golf Championships Match Play Championship, had seven birdies and an eagle in his first eight holes and admitted he was thinking 59 even before he reached the turn.
Sutherland said that when he was nine under after eight he started thinking 59 earlier than he should, but he added that it worked out all right.
Only six players have posted 59s on the US PGA Tour, the most recent coming from Jim Furyk at the BMW Championship in Chicago last September.
In 2010, both Paul Goydos and Australian Stuart Appleby achieved the feat. David Duval, Chip Beck and Al Geiberger have also done it, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- FIFA seeks ban for Qatar, Asian FC officials for refusing to cooperate with inquiry
- RBI wants to liberalise while strengthening bond markets: Raghuram Rajan
- After Rio Olympics failure, Tintu Luka's uncle blames coach PT Usha for below-par training
- Narsingh Yadav would have won the silver, claims WFI official
- PM Modi, Shah to address CMs of BJP-ruled states on Saturday