Lahiri cards 67 to move to eighth spot, Gangjee makes cut
Samui (Thailand): Anirban Lahiri carded a superb four-under 67 and was one of the only two Indians who made the halfway cut at the USD 312,000 Queen`s Cup here on Friday.
Lahiri, who is now four-under 138 for two rounds, is lying tied eighth, while the other Indian ensuring action for the weekend was Rahil Gangjee, who added a life-saving three-under to his first 76 to survive the cut. At two-over 144 he was tied 48th.
The remaining Indians in the fray -- Sujjan Singh (73-75), Himmat Rai (79-72), C Muniyappa (76-76), Abhijit Chadha (78-75) and Ajeetesh Sandhu (78-79) -- missed the cut.
At the top, Japan`s Daisuke Kataoka is on a revenge hunt after he signed for a second round three-under-par 68 to continue his stranglehold in the event.
After suffering the disappointment of missing out on a grandstand finish in his last event in Jakarta, the 24-year-old is determined not to lose his grip on the lead again as he heads into the weekend round with a two-day total of nine-under-par 133 at the Santiburi Samui Country Club.
Thailand`s Prayad Marksaeng kept the local hopes alive when he fired the day`s lowest score of 64 to share second place with Bangladesh`s Siddikur.
Malaysia`s Nicholas Fung also posted a 64 to take fourth place alongside Thailand`s Arnond Vongvanij and Jazz Janewattananond on matching 136s.
Meanwhile, Prayad will be looking to claim his long awaited victory at Santiburi Samui Country Club having come close with three top-three finishes since the Queen`s Cup made its debut on the Asian Tour in 2009.
Having won the King`s Cup in his rookie year, the 24-year-old Arnond knows the Queen`s Cup would be a nice addition in his trophy cabinet.
Reigning Asian Tour Order of Merit champion Thaworn Wiratchant of Thailand made an early exit after he carded a 75 to miss the weekend cut, which was set at four-over-par.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- PM Modi to launch Smart City projects in Pune today
- 'Mirzya': Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra thanks Salman Khan, sends best wishes for 'Sultan'
- Zardari urges US to support sale of F-16 jets to Pakistan
- Gulbarga ragging case: 3 arrested, 2 sent to 14-day judicial custody
- After Sachin Tendulkar, now 'Bharat Ratna' demand for Virat Kohli