Lahiri keen to rectify mistakes at European Masters
New Delhi: Indian golfer Anirban Lahiri is not prepared to risk another wardrobe change as he takes another shot at glory at next month’s Omega European Masters which is the only tournament on European soil to be jointly sanctioned by the Asian Tour and European Tour.
The talented Indian, who has three Asian Tour wins under his belt, got off to a flying start by grabbing a share of the first round clubhouse lead last year.
A ‘mismanagement of apparel’, however, saw him miss the cut when he followed up his brilliant 66 with a 81.
“On the second day, I started out when it was cold and then the sun came out and I got sweaty and warm around the fourth or fifth hole,” recalled Lahiri.
“I took off two of the three layers I was wearing but on the seventh hole, the sun disappeared and it became cold and windy. My entire body froze up and I never really recovered from it,” added the Indian.
Since his last visit to the picturesque Crans-sur-Sierre Golf Club in Switzerland, Lahiri ended his season on a high with a 10th place finish on the Asian Tour Order of Merit and has also gone on to clinch another Asian title on home soil in March this year.
The 26-year-old narrowly missed out on his fourth Tour win by one shot in Malaysia in June but stormed back with a vengeance by winning twice on his domestic Tour in the subsequent months where he used the conventional short putter.
The 26-year-old will now make his return to the Swiss Alps with a more comprehensive game plan.
“I guess I`ve learnt it`s better to stay warm and sweaty even if it means keeping a few layers on. My apparel management has also improved since. I have better gear to deal with that weather now and I`m glad I`ve learned from last year,” said Lahiri.
With the second half of the Asian Tour season getting underway Sep 5-8 with the European Masters, which has been co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour and European Tour since 2009, Lahiri is also setting his sights on getting his first win abroad and elevating his status in the world of golf.
“It has been a good year so far. Going into the second half of the season, my goals are going to improve my world ranking and get another win under my belt. I came close in Malaysia and I`m looking to improve on my last few performances,” said Lahiri.
Other Asian Tour stars who have confirmed their participation at the European Masters include former Order of Merit winners Thongchai Jaidee and Thaworn Wiratchant of Thailand, and India’s Jeev Milkha Singh.
Thai Kiradech Aphibarnrat, who currently leads the Order of Merit, will also tee up alongside Bangladesh’s Siddikur, Singapore’s Mardan Mamat and Philippines’ Angelo Que who enjoyed his best finish in Crans of tied-seventh in 2009.
They will face a stellar field from the European Tour that features the likes of Denmark`s Thomas Bjorn, Italy`s Matteo Manassero, 2011 champion Miguel Angel Jimenez of Spain as well as Scotland`s Paul Lawrie and Richie Ramsay who will be returning to defend his title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo