Lahiri looks to sealing a spot at British Open qualifiers
Chonburi (Thailand): Fresh from his second Asian Tour win at the SAIL-SBI Open last week, Anirban Lahiri will be looking to gain his maiden appearance into a Major when he tees up at the Open Championship International Final Qualifying Asia in Chonburi from Thursday.
There will be as many five Indians in the IFQ An elite cast of Asian Tour stars, who will vie for four tickets to the year`s third Major at The Open Championship International Final Qualifying Asia in Thailand next week.
Apart from Lahiri, there is also Gaganjeet Bhullar, twice winner on Asian Tour, Himmat Rai, who earned his breakthrough win at the Asian Tour in Singapore last year, Chiragh Kumar, winner of the Indian Money List Honours, and Sujjan Singh.
Kunal Bhasin, who holds an Australian passport, but is of Indian origin, will also tee up at the IFQ. Of the lot, only Bhullar has played at a Major, the 2009 Championships at Turnberry.
Other big names will include Thailand`s Prom Meesawat, who lost the SAIL-SBI play-off to Lahiri, Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Prayad Marksaeng, also from Thailand, Siddikur of Bangladesh, David Gleeson of Australia, Mardan Mamat of Singapore and Danny Chia, the first Malaysian to play in all four rounds of The Open Championship in 2010.
A total of 78 players will converge at the majestic Amata Spring Country Club, venue of last year`s inaugural Thailand Golf Championship on the Asian Tour, with hopes of securing a place in The Open Championship which will be held at Royal Lytham St Annes Golf Club, England in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- TCS, Infosys in Forbes 'Super 50' list; Tata Motors, HUL dropped
- Satpal Singh fumes at his name being dragged in doping controversy surrounding Narsingh Yadav
- RBI slaps penalty on UCO Bank, Allahabad Bank, Bank of India
- No relief! Court dismisses bail plea of AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan; sent to 14-day judicial custody
- SBI launches debit card-less instant money transfer facility