Lahiri secures Open Championship spot through world ranking
New Delhi: India`s Anirban Lahiri is one of 10 golfers who has earned a berth at next week`s British Open as the highest ranked non-exempt players in the Official World Golf Ranking.
Lahiri, currently placed 81 in the world rankings, will be India`s sole representative at the 143rd Open Championship, scheduled to be played at Royal Liverpool, Hoylake from July 17-20.
This will be Lahiri`s second Major appearance. The four-time winner on the Asian Tour made a memorable debut Major appearance at the 2012 British Open where he finished tied 31st and also made a hole-in-one.
Lahiri has enjoyed one of his best seasons in 2014. He won his first event outside India at the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters in April and also played a key role in Team Asia`s strong comeback that helped them achieve a draw against Team Europe at the inaugural EurAsia Cup.
The 27-year-old Bangalorean also achieved his career-best world ranking of 64 earlier this year. He currently leads the Asian Tour Order of Merit with a win and four other top-10s.
Lahiri, who recently tied the knot, was caught by surprise when the R&A announced that he was amongst those who will tee up at Royal Liverpool.
"I am two days into my 10-day honeymoon. In the middle of a tropical rainforest in Madagascar and trying to get back to India now as soon as possible. Total chaos. Will have to make it up to the wife big time. Super excited," said Lahiri.
"Just trying to figure out my movements so that I can get ready for The Open," he added.
Lahiri now becomes the fourth Indian after Jeev Milkha Singh, Jyoti Randhawa and Shiv Kapur to make his second appearance at the British Open.
He will be the second Indian to compete at a Major this year. Shiv Kapur played at the US Open last month and achieved the best-ever result for India at the event with his tied 23rd finish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- India bowled with a lot of discipline, says Kraigg Brathwaite
- Time's up for VHS! Last company making VCRs to stop its production this month
- RIP Tiger: Retired police dog who helped in detecting bombs during 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks passes away
- Four including child dead after shooting in Texas apartment complex
- GST listing in Rajya Sabha likely this week, Arun Jaitley to meet state FMs