Losing top ranking to Donald would help McIlroy at Augusta
London: Golfer Graeme McDowell believes losing the number one ranking to Luke Donald before the Augusta National might just work in Rory McIlroy’s favor.
McIlroy is facing lots of pressure as he heads for Augusta this week after his astonishing collapse in the Masters last year.
Despite going on to win the US Open within weeks, McIlroy is not being allowed to forget how, after leading by four shots going into the final round, he threw away his Green Jacket chances by carding an 80.
McDowell believes Donald’s rise back to No.1 when he won the US Tour’s Transitions tournament will make Rory’s job easier.
‘There is no doubt that Rory will go back to Augusta feeling a little bit that he has a point to make after what happened “But the thing is also that if Rory was going into the Masters as World No.1 he would be carrying all that extra expectation as well,” a daily quoted McDowell, as saying.
“The fact that Luke has got back to World No.1 is going to be a bonus for Rory as it will just take the pressure off him that tiny bit more,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player