Losing top ranking to Donald would help McIlroy at Augusta
London: Golfer Graeme McDowell believes losing the number one ranking to Luke Donald before the Augusta National might just work in Rory McIlroy’s favor.
McIlroy is facing lots of pressure as he heads for Augusta this week after his astonishing collapse in the Masters last year.
Despite going on to win the US Open within weeks, McIlroy is not being allowed to forget how, after leading by four shots going into the final round, he threw away his Green Jacket chances by carding an 80.
McDowell believes Donald’s rise back to No.1 when he won the US Tour’s Transitions tournament will make Rory’s job easier.
‘There is no doubt that Rory will go back to Augusta feeling a little bit that he has a point to make after what happened “But the thing is also that if Rory was going into the Masters as World No.1 he would be carrying all that extra expectation as well,” a daily quoted McDowell, as saying.
“The fact that Luke has got back to World No.1 is going to be a bonus for Rory as it will just take the pressure off him that tiny bit more,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands