Luiten wins Iskandar Johor Open golf, Kapur tied 15th
Johor Bahru (Malaysia): Rising star Joost Luiten of the Netherlands translated a run of good form to win the weather-shortened Iskandar Johor Open Sunday. India`s Shiv Kapur finished tied 15th.
Luiten overcame a four-shot deficit with a sizzling six-under-par 65 to defeat Daniel Chopra of Sweden by one shot in the $2 million event sanctioned by the Asian Tour and European Tour that was reduced to 54 holes due to adverse weather in the last three days.
Chopra narrowly missed his 20 foot eagle putt on the last hole to force a play-off and settled for second with a final round 70 at the Horizon Hills Golf and Country Club.
Former Asian Tour member Rhys Davies of Wales, title holder Padraig Harrington of Ireland and James Morrison of England finished in tied third, two shots from the champion.
Kapur alongside Thongchai Jaidee of Thailand, a three-time Asian Tour number one, Charlie Wi of Korea, and Bangladeshi Siddikur ended their campaigns as the top Asians in tied 15th place.
Luiten, who has six 10-tops this year, turned in 30 highlighted by a hat-trick of birdies from the second hole before adding another birdie on 11 to win his first European Tour title.
Playing on the second last flight, Luiten had an agonizing wait but revelled in delight when Chopra missed his eagle putt on the last which would have forced a play-off.
"Well it is always tough to get your first Tour win and you will always believe that you will get a good one. I have come close for a few times and I am really relieved to finally win and looking for the next one," said the 25-year-old, who won $333,330 with a winning total of 15-under-par 198.
Chopra, who held a two-shot lead after play was suspended yesterday, was disappointed not to recapture the title he won way back in 1993.
His title hopes looked to have faded after a double bogey on seven but the two-time PGA Tour winner battled back with three birdies in his closing six holes to finish lone second.
"I was very disappointed because I hit the ball really nicely (the double bogey). It was really the only bad shot I made all day. I had a bad break there but I knew there was a long way to go and if I could get some birdies, I would still have a chance to win. I just tried to stay patient," said Chopra, who grew up in India.
198 - Joost Luiten (NED) 63-70-65.
199 - Daniel Chopra (SWE) 64-65-70.
200 - Rhys Davies (WAL) 70-65-65, James Morrison (ENG) 66-65-69, Padraig Harrington (IRL) 64-67-69.
201 - Gregory Bourdy (FRA) 64-67-70.
202 - Soren Kjeldsen(DEN) 71-64-67.
203 - Louis Oosthuizen (RSA) 69-67-67, Fredrik Andersson Hed (SWE) 68-67-68, Darren Beck (AUS) 70-65-68, Marcus Fraser (AUS) 64-70-69, Jose Manuel Lara (ESP) 67-67-69.
204 - Marcel Siem (GER) 69-67-68, Soren Hansen (DEN) 68-67-69.
205 - Shiv Kapur (IND) 70-68-67, Charlie Wi (KOR) 66-72-67, Thongchai Jaidee (THA) 69-69-67, Brett Rumford (AUS) 71-64-70, Michael Jonzon (SWE) 69-65-71, Christian Nilsson (SWE) 67-67-71, Siddikur (BAN) 67-67-71, Ross Fisher (ENG) 71-69-65.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow