Madappa wins IGU All India Golf Tournment, also crowned ‘Player of the Year’
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Kolkata: Local boy Viraj Madappa of Tollygunge Golf Club finished with two successive birdies to not just pocket the Toyota IGU All India Finals at the par-72 Royal Calcutta Golf Club (RCGC) here but also grabbed the ‘Player of the Year’ crown to cap off two brilliant weeks.
Madappa, who had won the Toyota IGU Eastern India crown last week, began the final day with a four stroke lead over Mohan Sardar of RCGC and his even-par score in the fourth round was enough for him to pocket the title with a nine-stroke advantage.
At the end of the match, Madappa said, "I did have a comfortable tournament and with the form that I was playing with was quite confident of finishing it at the top."
Madappa finished with a four day aggregate of 288 against Sardar’s 297, while DLF Golf and Country Club’s Manu Gandhas finished third with an aggregate of 300.
While Madappa also pockted the combined category title, it was the under-14 champion Piyush Sangwan who piped Sardar for the runners-up spot. Piyush also finished with an aggregate of 297. However, his last day score of one-over 73 was better than Sardar’s 5-over 77. The second place finish of Sangwan also proved how competitive the Toyota IGU Tour has been this year.
Bangalore girl Aditi Ashok won final junior girl`s title of the year with a three day total of 236 (77-82-77) in combined age categories in the Toyota IGU All India finals at the par-72 Royal Calcutta Golf Club.
The youngster, who recently registered a top-10 finish in the Hero Women India Open, piped Delhi’s Ridhima Dilawari 239 (84-71-74) by three strokes after the end of 54 holes. Gurbani Singh also scored 239 (83-78-78) but finished third as Dilawari had better scores on the finals day.
The final rankings after the Finals would now be used to select the Indian team for international tournaments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption