Manu captures IGU Southern India Junior Boys title
Bangalore: Manu Gandas registered a clinical seven-shot victory, his second in as many weeks when he lifted the IGU Southern India Junior Boys Golf Championship title at the KGA Course here on friday.
Manu fired a final round 1-under par 71 to finish the tournament with an impressive total of 4-under par 288.
Tapendra Ghai finished second at 291 while Viraj Madappa brought in the day`s best card of 2-under 70 to finish third at 292. Feroz Singh Garewal was fourth at 295 while Piyush Sangwan who also shot a 70, finished fifth at 296.
Arjun Prasad pushed overnight leader Karandeep Kochar to the second spot in annexing the crown in Category B with a four-day total of 209. Karandeep shared the bridesmaid position along with Jaiveer Singh who finished two shots behind the leader. Arjun Puri was fourth at 315 while Karthik Sharma was fifth at 318.
Manu, armed with an overnight lead of five shots, made an ominous beginning losing a stroke on the opening hole.
However, mixing caution with aggression, Manu then made a steely approach as he parred the next five holes while also making a birdie on the par-3 fourth. The par-4 seventh considered to be the toughest hole on the course continued to torment Manu as he made a double bogey as he took the turn at 2-over.
On the back nine, it seemed as if he was on fire when he made two birdies in the first three holes while avoiding mistakes on the rest of the holes. With his nearest rivals falling apart, Manu had already sealed the issue by the 14th. A birdie on the 17th was an icing on the cake as he returned home safe and dry.
"I had worked hard and the results are paying off," said the soft-spoken 16-year-old.
"Knowing that the course is unforgiving, I knew if I had maintained my calm, I would definitely win the title," added the champion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read