Martin extends lead at Zurich Classic
Zurich: American Ben Martin stretched his lead to three strokes by firing a five-under 67 in the second round of the PGA Tour`s Zurich Classic on Friday.
Martin, who has made just two cuts in his last nine tournaments but finished third in both, completed 36 holes at 15-under 129.
"It was nice to kind of validate what I did yesterday getting off to a hot start," said Martin. "I wasn`t worried about what had happened previously or what was coming up. I wanted to just try to do that again on the second nine."
Martin is seeking his first career win on the North American tour.
"Overall, I don`t think it could have gone much better," Martin said.
Andrew Svoboda carded a four-under 68 to remain in second place at 12-under 132, while Robert Streb (66) and South Korea`s Noh Seung-Yul (68) shared third at minus-11 at the TPC Louisiana.
Erik Compton (68) and Peter Hanson (69) are tied for fifth at 10-under 134.
Martin began his round Friday on the 10th tee with a two shot lead on the field.
He added to his advantage by landing his second shot at the par-four 10th to within a foot and rolling that in for a birdie.
He pulled further ahead by chipping for an eagle at the 11th, and reached 14-under with a seven-foot birdie putt at the 13th.
He added a short birdie putt on his final hole, the ninth, to finish at 15-under.
No one was able to threaten Martin`s lead until Svoboda took the course in one of the final groups of the day.
Svoboda is seeking his first top-10 finish in his 33rd career USPGA Tour start.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj