Martin Kaymer out to end 19-month slump in Munich
Berlin: Former world number one Martin Kaymer of Germany has said he is out to end his 19 month-long slump when the BMW International Open begins on Thursday in Munich.
The 28-year-old reached the top of the world rankings in November 2011, when he also tasted his last tournament victory in Shanghai, but after a barren run, he has dropped to 35th in the world golf rankings.
Having finished 59th at last weekend`s US Open, Kaymer admitted that he needed a fresh start after the rigours of months away on tour.
"It will work again, it has to work again, there is no other option," said the German, whose crucial putt against Steve Stricker of the USA helped Europe retain the Ryder Cup in September 2012.
"I was the best player in the world two years ago, it has to work again. Ups and downs are normal but how long it will continue, it`s hard to say."
Kaymer accepted that his faith in his game was "lacking a bit" and there was a touch of homesickness in his voice when he spoke about his last few months away in the United States before returning to Germany for the Munich tournament.
"It`s little things like go picking strawberries, drinking a good cappuccino or eating some German bread that you miss," he said.
"It really dawned on me at Christmas, just missing the traditional foods like dumplings and red cabbage which we Germans like to eat at that time of year."
Hailing from Mettmann, near Duesseldorf, west Germany, Kaymer said it was good to be back on home soil in Bavaria.
"This is the only tournament in Germany. I am really looking forward to it," he said.
"I am well prepared and we`ll see where I end up."
Kaymer rejected suggestions he could consult a sports psychologist in a bid to refind his form.
"I don`t need that, I don`t want to sit myself down on a couch," he insisted.
"When you trust in yourself, you don`t need outside help, even if it takes maybe a bit longer. I`ll get through this."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani