Matsuyama wins first US title in Memorial playoff
Washington: Japan`s Hideki Matsuyama won his first US PGA Tour title in dramatic style on Sunday, beating Kevin Na with a par at the first playoff hole at the Memorial.
Matsuyama endured a rocky back nine at Muirfield Village that included a double-bogey five at the par-three 16th.
But he birdied the 72nd hole of regulation to complete a three-under 69 and join Na on 13-under 275.
South Korea-born American Na had been in the clubhouse for some two hours having completed a bogey-free eight-under par 64 for 275.
Matsuyama`s hopes looked dim when he hit a poor tee shot at the final hole of regulation. He broke his driver bouncing it on the ground in disappointment.
However, he knocked his approach shot to five feet for a birdie.
They returned to 18 for the playoff, and Na was in a stream off the tee.
Matsuyama was in a bunker off the tee but he drained a 10-foot putt for par to seal the victory.
The 22-year-old Asian star, who won four times on the Japan Tour last year, is in his first season on the US PGA Tour. He became the fourth Japanese player to win on the US tour.
Masters champion Bubba Watson went into the final round of the tournament hosted by Jack Nicklaus with a one-shot lead.
However, he fell back with a bogey at the14th and a double-bogey seven at the par-five 15th and missed out on the playoff by one stroke.
Watson finished alone in third after an even par 72 for 276.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’