Matsuyama wins first US title in Memorial playoff
Washington: Japan`s Hideki Matsuyama won his first US PGA Tour title in dramatic style on Sunday, beating Kevin Na with a par at the first playoff hole at the Memorial.
Matsuyama endured a rocky back nine at Muirfield Village that included a double-bogey five at the par-three 16th.
But he birdied the 72nd hole of regulation to complete a three-under 69 and join Na on 13-under 275.
South Korea-born American Na had been in the clubhouse for some two hours having completed a bogey-free eight-under par 64 for 275.
Matsuyama`s hopes looked dim when he hit a poor tee shot at the final hole of regulation. He broke his driver bouncing it on the ground in disappointment.
However, he knocked his approach shot to five feet for a birdie.
They returned to 18 for the playoff, and Na was in a stream off the tee.
Matsuyama was in a bunker off the tee but he drained a 10-foot putt for par to seal the victory.
The 22-year-old Asian star, who won four times on the Japan Tour last year, is in his first season on the US PGA Tour. He became the fourth Japanese player to win on the US tour.
Masters champion Bubba Watson went into the final round of the tournament hosted by Jack Nicklaus with a one-shot lead.
However, he fell back with a bogey at the14th and a double-bogey seven at the par-five 15th and missed out on the playoff by one stroke.
Watson finished alone in third after an even par 72 for 276.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed