McIlroy abruptly walks out of Honda Classic citing wisdom tooth pain
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida: World No. 1 Rory McIlroy walked off the course on Friday at the Honda Classic as everybody was left wondering what happened.
The 23-year-old who is the defending champion withdrew after hitting his second shot into the water on the 18th - his ninth - and slumping to seven over par for the day.
"There`s not really much I can say, guys. I`m not in a great place mentally," McIlroy said as a few reporters approached him asking what went wrong.
About an hour after he left, the 23-year-old released a statement that attributed his withdrawal to a sore wisdom tooth. McIlroy apologized to the tournament after the incident, saying he had every intention of defending his title at the Honda Classic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border