McIlroy brushed aside taunts from American crowd to help Europe win Ryder Cup
London: World number one Rory McIlroy once again proved why he is the best in the sport after he brushed aside constant taunts from the American crowd to help Team Europe win the famous Ryder Cup over Team USA on Sunday.
The taunts exploded all around McIlroy, as he walked down the first fairway.
News of his late arrival was the talk of the course by then, and suddenly every American cheerleader was taking a potshot at him in order to disturb his focus.
“What’s her name, Rory?” a leading daily quoted one of the voices from the American fans, as saying.
“I got some Advil for you, Rory,” another fan screamed, suggesting a hangover cure.
An unperturbed McIlroy smiled scathingly a few times, and then started chomping on an energy bar.
“Healthy breakfast, eh Rory?” someone called out.
However, when McIlroy got to his ball three quarters of the way down the first, he found it had come to rest in a coil of television cables, and another American fan threw a dig, saying: “Wake up, Rory.”
But McIlroy was just unfazed by these taunts, as he played beautifully on Sunday, taking down Keegan Bradley, the kingpin and cheerleader of the US team.
In a magnificent, high-quality match, McIlroy beat Bradley 2&1 and marked his victory with a theatrical bow to the American crowd.
McIlroy’s victory brought Europe to within a point of the USA as they scraped their way back into the game in the middle of the afternoon.
Team Euro went on to secure an unlikely but well deserved win against Team USA in the Ryder Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened