McIlroy confirmed to play in Australian Open
Sydney: Two-time major champion and world number three Rory McIlroy will play in this year’s Australian Open, organisers said on Saturday.
It will be the 24-year-old Northern Irishman’s first appearance at the Australian Open since 2007 when he tees off at the Royal Sydney Golf Club for the November 28-December 1 tournament.
“It’s been a few years since I last competed in an Australian Open. I competed in 2006 when I was still an amateur and then a year later after just turning pro,” McIlroy (picture) said.
“Both were in Sydney and I’ve always enjoyed myself in Sydney so I am very much looking forward to returning to Royal Sydney.”
On his last Australian Open appearance six years ago McIlroy finished well down the field in a share of 59th with scores of 74, 74, 76 and 77.
McIlroy won the 2011 US Open at Congressional and 2012 US PGA Championship at Kiawah Island among his six PGA Tour victories, and joins Australia’s world number four and Masters champion Adam Scott in the Sydney field.
McIlroy said this week that he has also accepted an invitation to play in the Tiger Woods-hosted World Challenge from December 5-8 at the Sherwood Country Club course in Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Matt Damon is back, check out terrific 'Jason Bourne' poster!
- '4 am airport spotting', Neha Dhupia slays in Sepia!-- See pic
- Chinese President Xi Jinping urges caution over US missile deployment in South Korea
- 7th Pay Commission: Auto makers expect spurt in sales
- 'Star Trek Beyond' to hit Indian screens on July 22!