McIlroy contemplating Olympic snub over Team GB, Ireland conundrum
London: World number one Rory McIlroy is considering to snub the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016 because he doesn’t intend to offend his fans from either England or Ireland.
McIlroy is eligible to for both Team GB and Ireland in the Olympics, as he plays golf for Ireland but holds a UK passport, the Daily Mirror reports, Golf will return to the Olympics for the first time in 112 years in Rio.
Ulsterman McIlroy faced a backlash last year when he hinted he would play for Team GB, saying that he always felt more British than Irish.
The 23-year-old from Holywood has suggested for the first time that he might not tee up at all in Brazil. McIlroy has said he is caught in a very difficult position and doesn’t want to offend fans from any of the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi