McIlroy contemplating Olympic snub over Team GB, Ireland conundrum
London: World number one Rory McIlroy is considering to snub the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016 because he doesn’t intend to offend his fans from either England or Ireland.
McIlroy is eligible to for both Team GB and Ireland in the Olympics, as he plays golf for Ireland but holds a UK passport, the Daily Mirror reports, Golf will return to the Olympics for the first time in 112 years in Rio.
Ulsterman McIlroy faced a backlash last year when he hinted he would play for Team GB, saying that he always felt more British than Irish.
The 23-year-old from Holywood has suggested for the first time that he might not tee up at all in Brazil. McIlroy has said he is caught in a very difficult position and doesn’t want to offend fans from any of the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Funny video: Squirrel taunts house cat through glass door – Watch
- L&T Finance terminates over 500 employees citing poor performance
- Illegal mining scam: BJP Karnataka president Yeddyurappa becomes teary-eyed in CBI court
- Adorable! This cute baby goes to bed with his best mate dog – Watch video
- Supreme Court to consider NEET exemption applications on Tuesday