McIlroy contemplating Olympic snub over Team GB, Ireland conundrum
London: World number one Rory McIlroy is considering to snub the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016 because he doesn’t intend to offend his fans from either England or Ireland.
McIlroy is eligible to for both Team GB and Ireland in the Olympics, as he plays golf for Ireland but holds a UK passport, the Daily Mirror reports, Golf will return to the Olympics for the first time in 112 years in Rio.
Ulsterman McIlroy faced a backlash last year when he hinted he would play for Team GB, saying that he always felt more British than Irish.
The 23-year-old from Holywood has suggested for the first time that he might not tee up at all in Brazil. McIlroy has said he is caught in a very difficult position and doesn’t want to offend fans from any of the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you