McIlroy misses cut as Ilonen keeps Irish Open lead
New Delhi: Pre-tournament favourite Rory McIlroy missed the cut despite carding a two-under-par 69 in the second round of the Irish Open at the Fota Island Resort in County Cork on Friday.
The world number six, let down by an opening 74 in perfect conditions the previous day, lost out by one stroke as he finished with a one-over total of 143.
Finn Mikko Ilonen, the overnight leader, followed his opening course-record 64 with a 68 to stay in front on 10-under 132.
Ilonen was two shots ahead of Frenchman Romain Wattel (65), England`s Robert Rock (66) and Northern Irishman Graeme McDowell (66).
Northern Irishman McIlroy, who was joint 23rd at the U.S. Open on Sunday, had been looking to move to the top of the Race to Dubai money list and back into the top five of the world rankings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!