McIlroy plays down ‘rivalry’ talks with ‘childhood hero’ Tiger Woods
Sydney: World number one Rory McIlroy has played down talks of rivalry with 14-time major winner Tiger Woods ahead of this week`s World Golf Final in the Turkish resort of Bel, saying the American is his childhood hero and even getting compared with him is an honor for him.
While sponsors draw heavily on McIlroy v Woods in promoting the 5.2 million dollar event, the 23-year-old Northern Irishman does not see it that way.
“I`m looking forward to tackling Tiger as everyone knows he`s been a hero of my growing up. To get to play alongside him these days and to compete against him is a dream come true,” a leading daily quoted McIlroy, as saying.
“This will be the first match where we have played against each other head-to-head compared to individual stroke play so it should be fun, and it`s a match I would really like to win,” he added.
“But while I would rather be a part of this than not, I`m in a great position being compared to Tiger. However people who watch sports want to see some form of rivalry between myself and Tiger but I don`t see it as that`s what Tiger and I have. It`s just great to see events like this and I am just pleased to be mentioned in the same conversation with Tiger,” he said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Ringing Bells starts delivery of Freedom 251 smartphone from today
- Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani's latest video is CUTE! Watch here
- Lenovo K4 Note gets a price cut; available at Rs 10,999
- RSS trying to ''appease'' Muslims: Shiv Sena
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Minnows Iceland dump mighty England out of Euro 2016